Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Naruto Set 20 Tier List
I spent the last weekend meeting up with Andrew & Nick to celebrate Andrew's 21st birthday. Karaoke, shopping, drinking, and much gaming (read: MVC3) was done. Overall it was a pretty good time. We even found enough time to squeeze in the Naruto CCG (both draft and constructed) and Resident Evil DBG into our weekend.

I feel pretty confident putting this out there, using and inferring from the deck lists used at recent Kages/Chunins. Perhaps at a later time I'll post more of my reasoning, but now it's back to work.

Agree or disagree with my tier list? Let me know in the comments below.

(Note: Obviously this is based off of lots of test decks within my team/local test group. Maybe someone can be the next Eric and release a new "Dreams" deck that flips everything on it's head or I missed something that flips the meta on it's head, but with what we know, this is how *I* feel it stands)

Element Tier List
1st: Water (Simply faster and stronger than everyone else. Earth is like a 7-3 against this at best)

2nd: Wind (Hydro Pump, Gaara/Temari, Baki/Hiruko/Sasori/4th Kazekage)

3rd: Earth (Gets eaten alive by faster decks. Hinata is NOT that good of a 3 drop. Still same generic crap it has been for the last 2 or 3 formats.)

4th: Lightning (Because of it's strong synergy with Water. True Allies isn't as consistent and loses to some newer set 20 strategies pretty easy. Sage Mode sees no chance of hitting the board against anything but Earth. Radiant Energy.dec is a lot better than people are thinking)

5th: Fire (Fire/Wind has worse synergy than Water/Lightning. It has spectacular late game Ninja but no Jutsu to speak of and the mission setup can only be run 1 way to be semi-competitive. It's incredibly one dimensional and really needs to piggy back of Wind.)

6th: Void (Small fields and despite the card effects being broken on paper, in actuality they're just okay)

That's just to list the elemental power rankings. Every element surprisingly has a combination that can be played at Tier 1 play, so I guess you could say Set 20 is fairly balanced but there's definitely a slight edge to Water and Wind. The only one sided matchup I feel is really just Water vs. Earth right now. (Earth being third as it has a slight advantage or is equal in every other matchup)

-Tsu

Labels: ,

1 Comments:
Blogger Tsu Kiyo Me said...
Quite a few people disagree with me. I will say this though: Those first 3 are definitely the top 3. I don't quite feel that everyone's played against the variations of Water I'm talking about but I feel they're complete blowouts vs. Earth. They're pretty even with Wind but because of the better matchup vs. Earth, I think it's the best.

It's better to think of it as such:

Tier 1:
Water
Wind
Earth

Tier 2:
Lightning
Fire

Tier 3:
Void

However, I still feel that every color, except Void, has a realistic chance vs any other color. The worst matchup is 7-3 Water vs. Earth I feel and after that, most matchups are 6-4 or 55-45 at worst. Bandai is doing a really good job with game balance... just results are skewed because no one is giving the other decks a shot when everyone sees how obviously good Hydro Pump is for Wind.

Post a Comment

Number of Unique Visitors: